This week has been interesting. Eventful,
adventurous, enlightening and somewhat unexpected, but, yes, another interesting week
in Tanzania for a myriad of reasons .
I started out last Sunday with a beautiful trip out to a hidden natural
spring with some of the other international volunteers. Beginning the morning with the hour’s walk to the main
road where the bus was picking us up, I was initiated in the “short-cut village
route”, supposedly better as it avoids having to walk down the traffic dirt roads.
Within minutes of leaving the school grounds, we were immersed in the depths of
the surrounding hills, following the small mud paths that wind their way
through the mountains. Locals have walked these hills for years, paving tracks
through the vegetation from their homes to the market, river and beyond.
I had been told early on that we would be
crossing the creek during the walk. Picturing in my mind a small babbling brook
(much like that of the same “creek” that
runs through the school)
I was somewhat taken aback when we suddenly
paused at the banks of a river. This was no idle hop across a slit of water,
this was a stepping-stoned, rock-filled balancing act across a mildly raging river!
Being utterly void of balance, grace and
stability, I have never enjoyed crossing small bridges, ropes, logs, or rocks. Anything that involves balance evades me. I
just can’t do that nimble, sprightly dance that people seem to so effortlessly do to carry themselves over places. Instead I am a ditherer, a clumsy footed,
nervy wobbler who invariably gets wet. And yes, this crossing was no exception. I
got half way, then wobbled, so decided that it didn’t look too deep, and waded
through instead; delivering myself soggy, but safe and sound to the opposite
bank. I think wading may be the way I get to town from now on!
And haggling in the marketplace for your
pyramid of tomatoes or potatoes is an entertaining way to spend a Sunday
morning.
Magi Moto was the name of our destination
for the afternoon – a secret oasis some two hour’s drive beyond Usa River ,
hidden in the heart of nowhere. After an hour down the good road (ie. It
had tarmac) we turned off onto a dust track and delved into the depths of the
wilderness in the foothills of Kilimanjaro.
There were just miles and miles of nothingness – just trees, goats and acres and acres of dust.
Yet, all of a sudden, the bus rounded a bend into a tree filled glen and we all poured out to the sight of this.
An exquisite, natural pool in the heart of the wilderness. The water, fresh from the mountains, was unbelievably clear and crystal-like as it glistened in the midday sun. Surrounding boughs fed the tropical feel of the place. It really was an extraordinary little find in the midst of nothing and nowhere.
A swim up current in the spring, pushing through briars
and hanging palms (in manner of a swamp-scape escapde of Indiana Jones) revealed an open
air pool, with crystal clear water revealing a rather large, scary black hole
looming underneath, housing (I am sure) deadly eels, piranhas and alligators. Luckily all deadly wildlife stayed hidden. Oh, apart from a lovely little blue lizard
and some rather pesky little toe-nibbling
fish. I know many people out there pay good money to stick their tootsies in tanks of
feet-munching fishes in swanky beauty parlours, but I have to say I am not a fan of the sensation or the
idea and didn’t really appreciate being chewed!
An afternoon of balmy slumber ensued, with
swimming, sitting, idly chatting and whiling away a Sunday in the boughs of a
little African glen with some of the locals and other volunteers.
Just as I was starting to feel rather
peckish, I turned my head to see that a mini-restaurant had been erected in a corner of the clearing that had been empty twenty minutes previous. Serving a selection of fizzy
drinks and the infamous local delicacy, Chipsi Mayai, the lovely proprietor was
an instant hit, his restaurant churning out endless orders within minutes, all
cooked over his little fire.
I ordered said delicacy and was presented
with a ginormous plate of food – a Chip Omelette as it translates – that kept me
going for the rest of the day until the dusty bus journey back home. All in
all, a rather lovely Sunday afternoon.
Unfortunately the rest of the week has not been quite so blissful, resulting in three trips to hospital, several blood tests and a 24 hour trip to
There are good hospitals out here (you pay, obviously, but you can get treatment). However, unfortunately for the poorly Tanzanian, the hospitals often close for public holidays and Sundays and therefore I was given two days of closed doors when I went last weekend to get some help (what with it being "Zanzibar Day" on Saturday, and Sunday on Sunday). During that time I researched which hospital would be the best to go to, what with my eventful past medical history, and discovered a superb university hospital here called the Aga Khan who have modern facilities and excellent doctors. I managed to see a lovely doc on Monday morning who ran some blood tests to rule out infection and clotting before investigating further causes. However, after returning some rather dodgy blood test results, she decided I should have a Doppler examination but annoyingly (here’s the gem) the nearest doppler machine to use for said test was in either
Mad as it seems, it was an easier journey
to travel up to Kenya than
it was to go back on the hell-bus to Dar, so I nipped back home, packed my passport and toothbrush and set off early the next morning
on a bus to Kenya.
The journey was actually quite lovely – the
tarmacked road sliced through lush vegetation, covering plains of goats, cattle
and even camels at one point (bus too fast for picture)!
The border crossing was amusing. You had to
exit the bus to walk through the departures of Tanzania and be stamped out of the country.
It was then a five minute mosey down the
dusty road (filled with lots of big trucks and endless folk just sitting around) to “cross the border” and
visit Kenya
arrivals.
Annoyingly, even though my visit was
fleeting, I still had to fork out $50 for a three month tourist visa. Will just
have to come back again another time and make a bit more use of it.
Long story short. Made it to Nairobi after around 7
hours on the bus, zoomed to the hospital for tests and was given an appointment with the Breast
Cancer specialist, Dr Ronald Wasike. He ordered
a few tests – a dopplar exam to rule out blood clots and then a few more blood
tests to examine my strange blood figures.
Because at this point it was nearly 7pm, I
had to return to Dr Ron to get the results the next morning (a rather sleepless
night in a stark, simple but very friendly hotel in the centre of town: the
Kenya Comfort Hotel (two out of three elements of the title were at least
true).
Diagnosis: luckily not imminent death from
blood clots, African beasties or rapidly swelling torso, but annoyingly I have
been diagnosed with a condition called Lymphodoema, a potential side effect
from all of the treatment I received for blasting my cancer a few years back. No cure,
just a lifetime of “managing” the condition, and several more years of puffy
arm syndrome. Nice.
Hats off to Dr Ron and the Aga Khan team
though – an incredible place, quite possibly one of the best hospitals I have ever
been in (and I’ve seen a fair few in my time). And hey, what’s a 16 hour round
trip to Kenya when you get to hang out with Dr Ron and his wizard machines?! Plus
another stamp in the passport. Busy now swotting up on the latest advice for
dealing with this pesky (and I have to say, a little unwelcome) condition. Hey
ho.
After having skived three days off work, I
went back to school on Thursday to carry on my work with Revocatus in setting
up the Sixth Form. We had many a meeting during the ensuing days with various
folk in the school, trying to encourage them to help set up some
extra-curricular activities for the F5 kids. Sadly, neither pastoral care nor
enrichment programmes exist in the basic Tanzanian education system, so
explaining (and getting teachers to understand) why it is good for students to
do things other than study, study, study whilst they are at school is just met
with blank and unresponsive faces. Another battle, but one I’m determined to
win.
The rest of the week has been spent
settling in and getting used to how things work out here. Where I live is
beautiful but very remote (as I said before, nearest shop is an hour’s walk) and
so planning ahead is the name of the game. It’s not safe to walk anywhere at
night, so it seems that weekends are times to restock the fridge, catch up on a
bit of life outside of the school and see a bit of the surrounding
hillsides. There is something
wonderfully simple about life out here though – you eat what you have in front
of you, you see and do what is surrounding you and you socialise with who is living next to you. Choice is removed, but it doesn’t mean that life is restricted –
simple yes, but still good. And so it is time for me to resume the simple life once more, to sign
off and and make the most of the rest of the day. Fortunately for
me, teabags and (fake) milk are available out here, so I can nip down to make a
brew, grab a book and while away the rest of the daylight hours chilling with
the birds in the garden and the colobus monkeys hanging out in the surrounding
trees. Not a bad end to a somewhat eventful week in the land of nomadic Musson...




1 comment:
Hi Rachel, what an eventful week for you? Come back little Pharmacy man in Pokhara I say! Seriously, thank goodness you got a diagnosis, and, hopefully, one you can keep on top of, I have heard of it before.
Look forward to reading more of your very clever, well written, blogs! love, Jean xx
Post a Comment