I don’t like cats. Apologies, as I know
that there are many people across the globe that devote themselves to the
feline world and would often choose the company of a cat over a person any day. For me, I’ve never trusted them. They are wily
little creatures: totally independent, they have no need whatsoever for humans.
They frequently vacate whichever house they may live in to spend nomadic days sleeping,
or out hunting mice and birds (sometimes bringing them home as little treats
for the humans) and, from what I’ve observed from cat-loving homes I’ve been
in, simply return to the fold to defecate and stick their claws into people’s
laps. Now I know I’m no doubt missing a whole world of pleasures that comes
with the feline world, but if I’m honest, I’m quite happy passing, thanks very
much.
Ok, so why cats today? Well, I moved house
yesterday and now, rather than being woken up by my lethargic cockerel pal, I’m
woken by the sound of a screeching cat. An unpleasant sound at any time of day,
and most certainly not conducive to a pleasurable eye-opening start to a
morning. Luckily the pleasurable sunbeams on my face when I wrenched myself into
consciousness quickly replaced the pain from my bleeding ears.
So here’s my new pad: bigger, brighter and
cheaper than where I was before (hence the move): win win really (bar
cat-alarm).
Plus about ten seconds from where I was living, so location still
perfect. Sadly the move bids a fond farewell to the swathes of pink adorning
my walls, but that was an eye-sight saving move that I was more than prepared to make.
Annoyingly, cats have encroached into my days a few times this week. I went to a lovely local bar a couple of nights ago with some friends for a drink and some food.
Although very similar looking in its set-up
to most of the local places, this little bar is “known” about town for its
rather delightful speciality: barbequed fish. Simply decide how many you want
between you and wait for the foil-wrapped delight to arrive.
And it was definitely worth the wait.
Lacking fish in my diet here, it was a welcome change from my daily avocadoes
and rice and tasted mighty fine. Samaki foil: yum. However, bring fish into the
equation in any place and it brings with it the unwelcome presence of cats.
Rubbing around people’s legs and making annoying little noises under the table,
I have to say they somewhat increased my displeasure of their company that
evening (and, cunningly, they somehow seem to always know I don’t like them,
thus take great pleasure in making a bee-line in my direction.) Still, the food
was good enough to outweigh the feline-frustrations and next time I’ll just
remember to wear long cat-proof trousers.
This week has been a blur of writing, walking,
sunny afternoons and failed attempts at seeing films. Trying to see a film last
week with a friend, we sat for an hour or so beforehand, having a drink and chewing
the fat, before realising that the reason there was no-one else around and that
we couldn’t find anyone to buy a ticket from was that the cinema was closed.
Doh.
Wednesday: take two. We went to the Alliance Française (where I’m having my Kiswahili lessons) for their weekly Rendez-vous Cinema; showing a French film each week projected onto a large outdoor screen whilst you sit under the stars. A beautiful idea. The views of Mount Meru that evening were stunning:
and the atmosphere conducive to a mellow
evening, with bats whizzing past and stars twinkling overhead. The film itself,
however, was a brain-breaker: there were subtitles to aid the non-Francophiles,
but unfortunately there was about a five minute delay (which the poor chap running
the film just couldn’t do anything to fix) and so you had to watch the action
and then, about five minutes later, read what was being said in that part that
happened five minutes previously; whilst at the same time watching and
remembering the action that was currently taking place, so that you could make
sense of it five minutes in the future when the subtitles arrived… talk about
confusing! On the plus side, it was a chance for me to revive my poor French
skills as, although having taken A-level French several moons ago, I am rusty
beyond belief. Thus, giving up on the brain-ache subtitles quite soon in, I
enjoyed mixing my connaissances du Français and vivid imagination to make sense
of the action. And, regardless of what was really going on, my intimated
version was just great.
Other than spending my days writing, having
a few lovely morning swims in a quiet little garden nearby (to appease the lymphodoema
arm ache) and spending a fun evening at a bar close to where I’m staying
beating a friend at pool, it’s been a quiet week. Quiet and beautifully serene, affording
me plenty of time to think, write, read and amble around the area, getting to
know some of the local people and places.
Sunday morning, however, was a different
kind of amble. I went along to the “Twende Hike”: a couple of local guys who
lead a four-hour hike each Sunday morning around the surrounding hillsides;
exploring places that you perhaps wouldn’t necessarily find yourself. With an
8.30am start to beat the heat (kind of), I joined a zealous group of friendly
folk all happy to spend the morning together with strangers wandering around
banana fields and through blissfully shady forests.
It was a great morning: the scenery was
just gorgeous, wonderfully varied and tranquil as we climbed out of the town.
The trails took us through some beautifully
peaceful rural villages and hillside dwellings. I am sure that the sight of
several mzungus marching through the Sunday morning breeze was a rather bizarre
sight for many a person sitting in their house that morning, but it was an
enjoyable few hours and a good chance to meet up with other folk living out
here. Plus, walking sixteen miles before lunch on a Sunday morning felt a
rather satisfactory way to start the day (even if my feet were ready to fall
off by the end of it). And it gave me an excuse for a good Sunday afternoon
cat-nap (cats were not invited by the way.)
So, life is ambling along and all is good and well
chez-Musson. As I begin today, sitting in my new little garden with my books and my notes, ready to start work
I will end this post with an image a friend sent to me this morning that seemed
a perfect way to start my day; a beautifully clever image coupled with the quote,
‘If you have a garden and a library you have everything you need.’
Today I have both, so all is good for now. Sika
njema (have a good day).





No comments:
Post a Comment