Wednesday, 11 July 2012

Serendipity

The past few months have been ones of flux; not just with ending my time at Emanuel and packing up my London days  but, most significantly, with my future plans. I received a phone call about a month ago from the charity that I was due to work with in Tanzania and was rather devastatingly informed that they were advising all visitors to cease any plans to work out there for immediate future. It transpires that trying to obtain a voluntary work visa for that area of Tanzania is like trying to break into Fort Knox.  Long story short: Village Africa have had months of huge problems with visas, have had several visa applications for teachers rejected over the past few months, cannot in any way guarantee that they will get my visa approved and, bar playing the ultimate game of risk with somewhat temperamental Tanzanian government officials, advised me to work elsewhere.



As I said, devastating. However, an uncontrollable part of my stubborn will refused to give up and I started plotting an emergency Plan B – to find another project I could offer my time and expertise to.



Like a silver lining, my change of direction came along in the form of The School of St. Jude.

A friend of a friend living in Arusha, Tanzania, put me in touch with an exciting educational project that she knew about and, one month later, I have secured myself a 6 month (maybe longer) placement working at St. Jude. This school is interesting: set up only ten years ago with a wooden shack and three students, its aim is to provide free top class education to some of Tanzania’s neediest children. The school provides free education, free clothes, free books, free transport, free meals and free accommodation to hundreds of impoverished children in Arusha with the hope that these students will be brought out of the cycle of disdadvantage and given the chance of a better future that a good education can provide.

The school is run entirely on donations and sponsors: it provides a wide level of employment for the local population, and sources all of its products from the surrounding area. In just ten years it has grown to house over 1600 students and is growing every year.


The school runs from primary ages all the way up to the equivalent of Sixth Form and is soon to have its first cohort of sixteen year olds entering that final stage of schooling. I will be working primarily with these students and the Head of A-levels within a skill-sharing role; introducing a careers and work experience programme into the school and helping students to apply for university places in East Africa and beyond.


My plans may have changed but the purpose to volunteer in Tanzania remains. As sad as I am that I cannot work in Yamba, I plan to spend time up there with those remarkable Yambans whilst I am over in Tanzania. However, serendipitously, I now get to spend time working in another remarkable place, The School of St. Jude, alongside another group of remarkable people; a project that I feel incredibly thrilled  to be joining. 


Exciting times ahead.

No comments: