Last week, I wrote at length of the
conflict that exists in the running of the St Jude’s charity. Having lamented
over the various issues at large, and the perilous future of the education
system here, I have decided, this week, not to mention a thing about the
school, the charity, my remaining time here or my current angst. In fact
nothing at all about Tanzania
this week; phew.
Instead I’m going to write aboutKenya .
Nairobi is an odd place. Branded
“Nairobbery” by many, it has a bad, sad reputation. Rightly so, I assume, as there are
tales aplenty about robberies, muggings and such like, whilst all and sundry warn
you to take care of your valuables, and never, ever walk anywhere at night. Ok! Much
of the rampant crime affects residents rather than tourists, but sadly, the prison-like
status imposed upon visitors to the city leaves it with a rather soulless
feel.
I have never seen a baby drink so quickly and happily as these little chaps. They gulped, slurped and swallowed with gusto and even had a go at holding the bottle themselves!
Instead I’m going to write about
I decided last Monday that I had to get
more medical advice on my lymphodoema and take action sooner rather than later.
I had managed to ascertain that there were no medical professionals in the
whole country who were able to help me, thus next stop was Nairobi , back to Dr Ron, to see what he had
to say. So I packed my "trunk" and fled the country for a few days.
Despite the visa I purchased last time at
the border being a “Single Entry Only” visa, I was merrily waved through and
the $50 fee for a new Kenyan visa wavered.
Quite why, I don’t know, but brilliant!
The bus journey was as long and dusty as
last time, the scenery lacking the camel excitement this time, but I did manage
to get a swim in a lovely rooftop pool during my first afternoon, which made
the day a bit more enjoyable (and the thirty five degree heat of the day a bit more bearable).
The name "Nairobi " comes from a Maasai phrase Enkare Nyrobi, which translates as Cold
Water, which is the name of the river running through. Only a hundred odd years
ago, the city was an uninhabited swamp, where lions, rhino, leopards, giraffe
and a myriad of other wild animals made their homes. After an initial
development of a railway, Nairobi
was chosen to be the capital of the country as it was developing under
colonial rule. Former dusty trails were gradually turned into tree-lined
avenues, with the city metamorphosising over the last fifty years into a
jam-packed metropolis of sky-rise buildings, grid road systems, bustling
markets and traffic jams. Nowadays, tall buildings made of steel and glass sparkle
in the heat of the midday sun, rather than the former ripples of the Cold
Waters. Gone are endless lions and rhino roaming the swampland, threatening
those who stumble across their paths; replaced instead, it seems, with
personified predators lurking the streets, waiting to pounce on the innocent
and steal a camera or two. To be honest, though, it felt just like any big city in the
world that I’ve visited. If you are sensible about not flashing around your
cash or your camera, by day you can stroll the markets or city centre free of
fear (unless scared of aggressive souvenir sellers or people wanting to strike
up a conversation with a Mzungu.) I wouldn't wander the streets after dusk
though – the atmosphere definitely changes when the sun goes down.
Despite a certain industrial ugliness
pervading the city, the beauty of the natural environment fortunately remains
in the nearby National Parks. Years of battles between big game hunters (such
as President Roosevelt who came over in 1906, killed over 500 animals and sent
their skins home) and conservationists were eventually won by the latter and
the National Park was built just 6 miles from the city in 1946. I was reading
about some of the issues with the park when it first opened – it seemed animal
security wasn’t all that great, and a lion was seen wandering outside an
exclusive hotel in 1962. Oops.
I had two hospital appointments during my
swift return visit to Nairobi ,
but was determined to try and see something more of the city than just the
inside of a doctor’s consultation room. So I took a trip, early one morning, to
the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust – about a thirty minute drive out of town.
Here exists a small charity, within the
acres of the National Park, that rescues orphaned elephants and rhinos from isolation and imminent death following the death of their mothers.
Started in 1977 with the aim to rescue
vulnerable animals from across the continent, the charity has successfully saved and hand-reared over one hundred infant
African Elephant calves. The story of how it started is fascinating: the
website tells it well.
www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.org
All the elephant orphans raised by the Trust
are gradually rehabilitated back into the wild elephant community of Tsavo National
Park when grown. The transition is made at their
own pace and in their own time, but usually taking approximately eight to ten
years.
Every day, the park
allow visitors to come and see the orphaned elephants, paying a small donation
to the charity for the privilege. Standing around a roped off bit of dusty
land, I stood with fifty young primary children who had come with their teacher
for the morning. The excitement on their faces was adorable.
All of a sudden, a
rustle in the bushes revealed the first trunk, and then a whole stream of baby
elephants came rushing down the hill towards us.
Ranging from 8 months
to just under two years, these guys were nothing short of adorable.
Bottle fed every three
hours (they drink baby formula; the only milk suitable for their digestion, bar
natural elephant milk) each orphan is reared by a band of keepers. These
gentlemen devote their entire lives to the young calves, living beside them
night and day.
Elephants are resonant
of humans in so many ways. Naturally family orientated, the young elephants are
wholly reliant on their mothers. Young bulls are more
resilient, mainly because female family members will be bonded together for
life by strong emotional bonds. Young bulls leave their family at puberty,
preferring the company of other young bulls. Typical boys!
The charity are careful to emulate the care
given by a mother to its calf: thus the family lost to an orphaned elephant is
replaced by a human one, to allow the emotional development of the young
elephants to develop alongside their physical strength.During
early infancy the Keepers must be in physical contact at all times, replacing
the contact the baby would have enjoyed from its elephant family and they actually
spend the nights alongside the elephants, sleeping in their stables on small
bunks.
It is also important to rotate the Keepers
so that a different Keeper sleeps with a different elephant each night in order
to avoid any strong attachment to just one person, as the psychological grief
produced by a broken bond can trigger life threatening physical problems within
the elephant psyche. They really are such fascinating animals.
They are bottle fed milk every three hours
for their first year, with an oatmeal porridge added to the diet after five
months.
I have never seen a baby drink so quickly and happily as these little chaps. They gulped, slurped and swallowed with gusto and even had a go at holding the bottle themselves!
They were then given a chance to have a bit
of a play; running around together, playing with twigs and branches, rolling in
the dust and having a tickle from their keepers.
The first elephants we met were the babies;
all of them under a year old and all of them rescued from a range of horrific
circumstances. The very youngest little lad, Lemoyian, was rescued when he was
just three months old when he was found down a well close to Amboseli National Park .
Obviously some accident had caused him to
fall, and become separated from his family.
He now has a new home – here is where he
sleeps with his keepers.
The history of all these orphans is tragic
– read the link below for more details – with the majority of them a product of
ivory poaching: mothers shot dead for their tusks, babies left to fend for
themselves.
When the babies had finished frolicking
around, they ran back up into the forest, and, five minutes later, a stampede
of toddlers emerged!
These guys were slightly older, most
between one and two years, and a little bit more streetwise.
Many of them were in the toddler stage of
self-feeding, and all they wanted to do, post-bottle, was mess around.
From mud-wrestling to water squirting, they
were absolutely hilarious to watch – full of energy and mischief.
It was an incredible hour spent up close
and personal with some incredibly adorable little elephants. Seeing them run
and play with each other, hearing the story of their rescue and rehabilitation
and learning about their hopeful futures was a wonderfully heart-warming way to
start my day.
Oh, one top tip if you ever get a chance to
visit. White trousers are a foolish thing to wear, when you’re a few metres
away from little elephant scamps who like to squirt water and throw mud at all
and sundry. Hmm.
After frolicking with Nelly, Dumbo and
pals, I hot-footed it to the Aga-Khan for my second appointment of the visit,
this time with a lymphodoema specialist. I managed (Hallelujah) to track down
the only woman in the whole of East Africa
with training in this frustrating medical condition. She gave me a clear
diagnosis, a heck of lot of good advice (no heavy lifting, no repetitive
activities with that arm, no hot showers or baths, avoid hot places (!!)), some
physio, and instructions of what to do for the next two weeks to try and alleviate
the problems. All being well, an hour’s daily physio (self-inflicted thank
goodness, otherwise I’d be moving to Kenya ) for the next two weeks ought
to bring the swelling down for now. Here’s hoping.
And then I was back on my little bus to Tanzania . Pronto.
Presidential elections are coming up in Kenya
this week, and there have been government warnings issued advising travellers
to avoid particular hot-spots in the country, areas of Nairobi being one of them. There was
significant violence in the area following the last elections five years ago,
with over 1000 dead. It was interesting talking to people whilst I was there
about the upcoming election, and it was obvious that tensions are high and
anger is already brimming. I was both amused and alarmed by the publicity
campaign poster of one of the fore-runners:
Cross between an Arnie Schwarznegger
character and a charming sleeze, he’s obviously trying to go for the Mr
Versitlity approach, but it does ring of a certain violent undertone.
Anyway, I had a good stay this time – full of positive medical advice, elephant cuteness and a cheerily optimistic farewell message from the country to think about on my journey home.
Anyway, I had a good stay this time – full of positive medical advice, elephant cuteness and a cheerily optimistic farewell message from the country to think about on my journey home.
Highlight of the long bus ride home? The
border crossing. Again, despite my Tanzanian visa clearly stating it is a
Single Entry Only visa, I was let into the country without further payment. Brilliant yet again. Whilst sitting on the
pavement waiting for the rest of the folk on my bus to get through the passport
check, I observed a young man on a single crutch wandering from person to
person selling something. Intrigued to see what it was bulging from his back
pockets, I shuffled a few feet down my perch and saw, much to my shocked
amusement, that it was passports! British, America , Kenyan, Tanzanian and a
myriad of other coloured booklets were available for purchase: and people were
buying them!
I started to take a few pics (as I wanted
to pop him here in my blog) then suddenly realised I had the look of an
undercover cop, about to bust him mid-operation, so swiftly stashed my camera
back in my bag and pretended to fiddle with the zip whilst he hobbled by. No
sale today mister. Sorry. But I now know where to come if I want to change my
identity…! The audacity of doing such mischief in broad daylight, right outside
the passport office just confirmed what a bonkers place this country is!
I was welcomed back to the house by three
new flatmates: a brown widow spider, a camel spider (or wind scorpion as it is
commonly called) and a giant wasp.
I was not able to take any photos of the
former pair, as I ran screaming for help, then removed them swiftly from the
premises. But I have to say that none of them were invited, and none of them
were welcome. They have all now thankfully left and I’ve put clear signs out
that I am not up for any more visits from their pals. Here’s hoping.
So, after a few days away with the
elephants, I’m now back at the circus and busy planning my moves. It is half
term this week, which gives me a few days thinking space. Plans are already
rumbling in my mind and I feel a lot more hopeful of ways to make these next few
months positive. All in all, my little Kenyan rendez-vous was just the tonic I
needed to clear my head and reassess my work here. Obviously a visit to Nelly and pals was just what the doctor ordered...
.jpg)
No comments:
Post a Comment