There have been many musings in the Musson
mind of late. Not only have I been re-thinking my plans out here, but I’ve
spent much time re-evaluating my feelings about the concept of educational
charity work and the most effective approach to take. Conclusions have, this
week, been reached and there are ch-ch-ch-changes approaching.
The first resolution that I have made is to
leave St Jude’s. I have found out many things over the past three weeks that
have really changed the way I view the charity and the people in charge. Don’t
get me wrong, the reality of what this school is doing remains the same and the
chance that it is giving these few thousand children of an education is as
remarkable as ever. That brilliance and empowerment remains. But what have been
stripped away, for me, are the moral workings behind this, the direction of the
school and the approaches that have been made in the past by the charity
directors. I won’t go into all of the
shenanigans in too much detail; mainly because they have been agitating my mind
for long enough now and it is time to move on from the mental angst. But a
summation of findings is indeed in order, for a clarification of just why I am
abandoning ship in such a seemingly heartless manner. Allow me to explain…
When I applied for a voluntary position
here, I was excited. The work of the charity sounded incredible, the concept
remarkable and the role advertised seemed a real challenge. All that I read
about St Jude’s before coming made it sound as though the education here had
taken real steps beyond the conventions of a government education and was
really enriching the curriculum in exciting ways for the teachers and the
children. The proposals that I was bringing in for the Sixth Form were in line
with this level of enrichment; putting in place Life-skills, university visits,
lectures and visiting speakers, community service, mentoring etc. It was
presented to me by the western management as a desired product, just lacking
the experience and knowledge of an implementer. However, what I have discovered
over the past few weeks changes things.
Firstly, I have discovered that lovely Revocatus, the Head of Sixth Form, was not told that I was coming, was not given any input into what direction the Sixth Form would take and was not even asked if he needed a
The third thing that has arisen from all of the recent happenings is the fact that the teachers on the ground are battling constantly with the concept of educational enrichment. It is, currently, a western concept of education and not something that exists within the education system here. The hostility arises, not necessarily because the teachers don’t want it, or don’t see a need or benefit (that is certainly not the case; they can most certainly see the additions and benefits that can be applied to standard education). The problem lies with the fact that there is no room for it. The current Tanzanian Curriculum (an old British Curriculum from the 1950s) is vast, is all centred on factual knowledge and rote learning, and takes a long time to teach. There is no room in the classroom for creative teaching, student centred learning and interaction: firstly because it takes away from teaching time, and secondly because (at the end of the day) it is not what is being examined. The kids just need to regurgitate facts, facts and more facts. Understanding how to apply them to the real world and where they can take you is simply not important on this current educational train; the only thing that matters is picking up the knowledge en-route to the final exam. The problem lies in the fact that the Western Board that runs St Jude’s are demanding rapid rates of development within the school’s teaching; wanting to see results from the enrichment and see them fast. These things take time, take trust, and cannot be seen with immediate effect. It is utterly remiss and shameful that this collection of folk in Australia place demands upon the educators here within the school when none of them are educators themselves and none of them have any direct understanding of the Tanzanian education system.
The simple fact of the matter is this: the
school’s aim is to be the best school in Tanzania . Truly remarkable and
exciting in its aim, considering the fact that ten years ago the school was a
banana field. And guess what? In the Form Four National Examinations (results out last
week) it scored seventh in the entire country. These are GCSE equivalents. The seventh best
government school in Tanzania :
pretty remarkable, huh?! And how has the school gained this ranking? Not
through enriched teaching, extra-curricular exams and community service, oh no,
through jam-packed lecture style lessons and very hard working students.
That is how schools out here are judged and
that is what the teachers know, the parents want, and society understands as
success. There is no ranking or leader-board for all of this “extra” enrichment;
it is superfluous to the way that Tanzania ns currently view educational success.
Were the school now to drop down to be, say, the 75th best school in
the country for examination success, but the best school for producing creative
thinkers, public speakers, empowered and creative students, it would be seen as
a failure in the eyes of society. The only thing that matters in the current
climate is educational success – and the curriculum does not need or require
the extras that shape young minds.
A good
friend of mine wrote to me the other day discussing education. She said, I quote, "When we compare wistfully to what goes on in schools we've both know in the UK, I guess we have to remember how far the British Education system has come and how it's taken a very long time, a National Curriculum, the abolition of several major exam systems and many governments to get where it is today- and it is still failing thousands of students in many parts of the country. There just isn't ever going to be a one size fits all model and until these students in Tanzania are judged on more than their national exam results, these soft skills that we know to be so important and essential just won't be valued." A wise woman, is Jo. I've had many discussions of late of the value of educational charity work and of the underlying problems that come with them. However you look at it, we, as westerners, are imposing our systems onto a country under the mildly (albeit subconscious) arrogant view that they are better. We are forcing our ideals onto a curriculum that has no space or them and are assuming that everyone will naturally want to follow this same route. Who knows, eventually maybe they will, but they need to want to go down that route. It is one thing to model an education system but a very different thing to impose it upon a country or community that, as it stands, is just not yet ready.
There are, however, flaws that the
government need to address. In these recent Form Four National examinations,
60% of the entire country gained zero marks. Thus two thirds of the country
failed. People higher up surely must address the symptoms of such a situation when
you have worrying results like that. There are now all of these sixth form
places at schools across the country sitting empty as children have not gained
the results needed to gain entry. Only 6% of the country got a Division 1 pass
(the equivalent of a good grade) and a total of 240,903 students (out of the 397,126 students who sat the Form Four exams) failed.
So,
where does that leave my thinking? Well, for a start,
saddened once again at the fact that the educational system is in many ways limiting
those at its heart. The system is letting them down and yet they are all locked
into the system. The kids here at St Jude’s are doing something remarkable as
they are in that top percentage that passed. 19 students here got a Division One
grade, and none of them got zero. However, many got Division Three and Division
Four, and the management have decided (again to their shame) that they are not
going to let them come back to school next week and start Form Five. Despite
the fact that, when this project started ten years ago, these children were
amongst the first students to arrive and were promised that they would graduate
Form Six, they are being now asked to leave. The children that remain here are
not being equipped to leave school and head out into the world as confident
young minds (as the charity so boldly declares that they are). They are being
equipped to leave school and head out into the world as very factually
knowledgeable Doctors or Lawyers or Accountants.
This achievement is tremendously exciting. However, they take with them no self-confidence, a lacking in creative thinking, limited interactive people skills and holding very few life skills. Is it a good thing, then, that this school
is removing the children from their communities and social education and
pushing them down an academic route in a very western-looking environment instead?
This is what my mind has been battling over these past few weeks. Yes, in many ways, it is a remarkable thing that these children are
being taken from lives of intense poverty, being pushed through a government
school with remarkable facilities, dedicated teachers, given three meals a day
and a safe place to sleep. They are being given examination success, National
Examination certificates and (hopefully) University places. They will go on to
gain employment in the country and comfort in their own lives. Yes, that is truly
wonderful. But, on the flip side, they will leave behind their family, their
community, their home. Studying at
university to be a doctor is a long way from herding goats across the
Serengeti. There is no place for a
lawyer in a Massai village. There is no need for an Accountant in a mud-hut community.
There is no role for a Doctor on a hillside plain with no medical facilities. Or
rather, there is a need if these students can reverse the directions that
school’s ambition is sending them: set up a medical practice back in their
village; work with the village elders to share their knowledge on human rights,
return home to teach about economy and financing. Maybe, hopefully, some of these
students will return to their communities one day and do just that: truly fight poverty through education for their
whole community as well as themselves. Maybe, just maybe.
I visited another
school this week (St Jude’s being closed for half term). Orkeeswa School
is up in the mountains of Monduli; a charity that has set up a small government school for the local community.
Its aim is to teach an enriched curriculum to
the local Maasai children and to provide them with opportunities beyond a
traditional Tanzanian education.
In their model, they teach the Tanzanian curriculum from 8.15am
until 2.15pm, and then have two hours each day of extra-curricular activities;
from gardening to agriculture to baking to sport and public speaking. The
children all live at home, many walking an hour and a half to school each day.
They are thus fully integrated in their local community as well as within the
school. The young lad, Joseph, that showed me around the school told me tales
of his home, his family and the things he has learned at school.
He took me on a tour of the school garden,
the chicken house and the goat pen; the classrooms, the kitchen, the basketball court. He told me about what he has learned at
school and what skills he has gained. He told me how useful many of the skills
have been back at home, and how he has taught his younger brother many of those
skills learned at school. He also showed me how the Maasai make their shoes
(something I have long admired, as they make them out of car tyres-
incredible!)
What I admired about the school was the
headteacher, Robert. He spoke to me at length about the school and about their
recent upset – that many of their Form Four students had sadly failed their
National Examinations. When asked whether this made him re-think the model of
the school, he said firmly that he was proud of Orkeeswa and the skills it was
teaching the children, and would not compromise on that. A bold statement to make for a Tanzanian; as he will never be judged a success running a school that fails in the examinations. But they should indeed be proud of how much they achieve.
It was fascinating to see another model of
a charity school that is so very different from St Jude’s – the two couldn’t be
more different. And the results are so different too. I leave you to your
opinions on which charity model creates more success…
I will, however, share one of my favourite things about my visits to the school– when Joseph took me to look at the rather snazzy goat house, I asked where the little nibblers were.
I will, however, share one of my favourite things about my visits to the school– when Joseph took me to look at the rather snazzy goat house, I asked where the little nibblers were.
He told me they wandered the school site
freely during the day; often heading out down the hillside or down to the
garden. We found them, ten minutes later, wandering out of the library. Love
it!
Coming back to the here and now, the crux
of the matter is that there is no role for enrichment in The School of St Jude at
present and therefore no need for my work here. The aim of the school remains
utterly muddled: two things being forced together, that don’t work harmoniously
together. The teachers have spoken (through their swift removal of the Academic
Head, who was leading the enrichment) to say that they don’t want that here
right now. They want to focus on the traditional teaching they understand and know
best (and that works) and they want to continue this drive to be the best
school in Tanzania . I will admit that I don’t like the way that the
Western management here have forced a model onto a school without the consent,
the desire and the understanding of its significance by the teachers on the
ground. I don’t like the way that local staff here feel they do not have a
voice in the school and simply have to do what they are told by the western
management. I do not like the way that, in the midst of this current crisis,
all of the western management have just backed away from the problem and said
that someone else can fix it; the new CEO (who is starting in August) can deal
with the problem; it’s not their fault; it was someone else pushing this system
onto the school. I don’t like the fact that I now feel I have been introducing
ideas to lovely Revocatus that, in reality, he probably doesn’t want and
certainly doesn’t feel he needs. He may be saying yes, yes, yes to them all,
but if some higher power is pushing this onto his head, then of course he’s
going to agree. I feel uncomfortable in
my own skin and that makes me ashamed of what I represent.
So, what to do? Well, much of the work I’ve
been doing since I arrived has been centred around creating and orchestrating a
two week induction programme for the new Form Five (Lower Sixth) students who
start back this Tuesday. This includes creation of a Guide to A-level Success manual, a Teambuilding afternoon, Study Skills
sessions, Careers discussions and research, Life-skills lessons, a Leadership
day, debating and public speaking lessons etc. All of these new concepts to the
students, the teachers and the government’s education system of Tanzania . I
have accepted the fact that the model I have been preparing will most likely
not be repeated again next year. The academic systems I have been putting in
place will, most likely, not be taken up for the duration. The doors I have
opened forging links to the wider community will probably soon be closed. However, it is too late now to halt the
running of these next few weeks, and I would hope that the value of this two
week enrichment programme will be a positive thing for these students. They
will not, by the looks of it, get a chance to learn and experience any of these
skills again at school and so we will continue with the programme. After that,
I think my time here is done.
I am going to sit down once again with the
Headteacher, Deputies and Revocutus and see if there is anything further they want me to help with; but I assume
my end is nigh. I am not in any way bitter or upset by this; on the contrary to
be honest, I feel uncomfortable that I have been suggesting so much that,
underneath their smiles, they probably have not wanted. So certainly time to
leave; to leave them to it, to do what works. The school do not need western
educators to come in and show them how to be a success: they are doing that
without us; the examination success proves as such. And until there is space,
time, a desire and a need for educational enrichment here, the mentoring programme
needs to be shut down. The majority of the other teacher-mentors here are all
leaving at the end of term. The western management will then, hopefully, be
forced to re-think their approach to running the education within this charity. Top down is a sad way
to carve out what, on the surface, appears (to all who read about St Jude’s
from afar) like a heartfelt, charitable concept but is, in fact, western
domination once again.
What happens next remains in the pipeline at the
moment, but I’ve a few meetings lined up this week and a few local visits to
make to projects I’ve been in touch with for a while. I therefore hope, this
time next week, to have made my plans and to know what I’m doing and where I’m
going. On the move again it seems. But if those beautiful little elephants
taught me anything last week, it is to always have your trunk packed, ready for
the next challenge that lies just around the corner…






1 comment:
Wise choice Rachel, I'm sure you've left your mark though. Good luck at the new school. Take care, love, Jean xxx
Post a Comment