I never thought I’d say this, but sometimes
I hate words. Spending my days reading books, scribbling notes and writing
ideas up on my computer can sometimes feel a little painful.
Although I have a good view from my outside office(ignoring the grey concrete)
and am spending my days listening to birds sing in the peacefulness of
warm autumn sunshine, it still pains me sometimes to sit staring at a computer screen
for so long (and doesn't help my technophobic tendencies!)
Still, that’s the nature of the beast when
it comes to writing. It is also a reason why my blogs have been a little absent
of late; often the last thing I feel like doing after a day’s endless writing
is sitting down to write even more words.
But, having given my aching fingers and
brain a little rest over the weekend, I am ready to write once again.
For those of you wondering what it is that I’m actually doing out here, or what on earth it is I’m spending so many hours writing words about, here’s a little picture for you:
I spent yesterday afternoon attempting to “draw”
the book I’ve just written. Hmm, a little bonkers as a concept perhaps, but I’m
hoping to use my squiggly little info-graphic as part of the introduction to
the manuscript (that’s the plan, anyway). It is supposed to tell the tale of
some of the things I’m writing about and give a few clues as to the direction I’m
going with my thoughts. And hey, if nothing else, it gave me an enjoyable afternoon
off words yesterday whilst I was painting it!
The past month has been filled with the mental
torment that is writing to publishers. Beyond the fact that this in itself is a
practical impossibility (for the most part you simply can’t just write to a
publisher or editor; you have to enrol the services of a middle man, known as The
Literary Agent) the process is a minefield when it comes to getting it right. Not
only are there a gaziilion literary agents out there (many waiting to take your
money and sell your soul); each of them has their own unique style and
application process that they wish for you to adhere to. Taking the advice of some
friends in the business, who say to write to as many people as you can (as most
wannabe writers get their first manuscript rejected over and over for the first
few years), I have spent the past month preparing detailed applications for twenty
or so different agents and publishers; hours of work to sell my book whilst
conscious of the fact that I am unlikely to hear anything back from any the
people I’m writing to. A little disheartening perhaps, but I’m coming to the
end of the first stage now, so I’m over it. Or simply onto the next stage: the
hopeful keeping fingers crossed in the vain hope that someone will reply (which
is more likely to result in me punishing the fingers and the brain some more
and writing applications to another twenty agents…)
Other than torturing my brain and my fingers (last week my hand momentarily morphed itself into some sort of crippled claw from excessive typing: a frightening few minutes) I’ve been busy enjoying the cultural pleasures of Arusha.
Here’s a little round-up of what I’ve been
up to over the last month:
Thoughtcrime
Thursdays
Started by myself and my American buddy a
few months ago as a means of getting like-minded people together for
interesting discussions, Thought-Crime Thursdays involves meeting up each week
in a lovely local bar with some buddies to discuss and debate a range of
interesting questions. Basically we pretend to put the world to rights over a
few beers: brilliant! Discussions thus far have covered the following
questions:
Gender: Can there ever
be such a thing as Gender Equality? To what extent has the term feminism become
synonymous with ideologies that are fundamentally contradictory to its core
meaning?
Food: How do we relate to the things we put into our
body, when we barely understand the consequences? How can we determine if
something is ok for us when conflicting science abounds? How can we feed
the world and can we (or better yet should we) patent life?
Culture and business: How do they intersect and clash? Is it good and bad that the
world has seemed to fall in this order, especially since our culture is very
tied to our appearance?
Music: How has technology shaped the creation of
music? How does technology shape how we experience and relate to music? Is all music art?
Climate: Should we go for a bottom-up
approach to fighting global warming or rely upon politicians to find a top-down
solution eventually?
Interesting chats and evenings spent with
interesting people; one of my favourite things to do each week.
Twende
Hikes
I’ve been out and about over the past few Sundays
with a random collection of people, taking hikes in the surrounding countryside.
The premise: turn up at a fixed point at 8.30am on a Sunday morning and walk
for four hours with Kamaali and Leonard, two Tanzanaians who know every trail,
track and pathway there is to know in the area.
Our walk a few weeks ago took us perilously
close to a nest of three snakes –two spitting cobras (huge black snakes) and one poor snake that
had met its match and was actually being eaten by the cobras. No photos, sorry;
I was too busy getting ready to run! Instead here’s a picture of a prickly
little caterpillar that was on my bathroom floor this morning:
Essay writing
Obviously not content enough with writing
all day, I entered a competition a few weeks ago set by the Bill and Melinda Gates
foundation. The brief was to write a 5000 word essay on the future of
development aid. Being a topic on which I find I have a lot to say, and
offering twenty top prizes of $20,000 each, I felt this was not something to be sniffed
at and spent two weeks compiling my entry, entitled: Power to the People: Re-branding Development
Assistance to Give Voice to the Silenced World.
Call for essays
Call for essays
As I’m probably not
saying something that they actually want to hear, I suspect my entry went
straight into the bin, but should I miraculously find a large increase in my
bank account come December, I’ll be sure to let you all know!
Festivals and Culture
Arusha has recently had a burst of cultural
activity: a music and theatre weekend; with bands from all over East Africa and
a great play from Kenya called Elements.
This past week has been the Arusha film
festival.
It was a week showcasing directors, producers and films from all over
the continent, with films played every afternoon and evening in three venues
across town. I went along to the opening
evening and saw a few films during the week – a real range in quality and
content, but some very beautiful documentaries and interesting pieces.
This
weekend is the infamous Jambo Festival, a weekend promising street carnivals, live
bands, dancing, food and festivities.
It
promises to be a good weekend: I’ll keep you posted!
Careers
fair
A few weeks ago, I went to the St Jude’s
career fair (the school I worked at last year) to see some of the kids
promoting future vocations and aspirations. It was a fascinating morning
wandering around the exhibits. Of particular note was the “Women’s Room” – a room
full of girls advocating women’s rights and the power of the female, with
posters and information about inspiring women from across the globe plastering
the walls.
Another fascinating exhibition was from a
young designer whose ambition is to become an architect. After drawing up his
plans for a small-holding, he made a model version – out of cardboard – in 7
hours. Impressive stuff!
Swahili
School
I’ve been continuing my language lessons
with my brilliant teacher, Gamba:
six hours a week of lessons to try to get a
little more competent in my spoken proficiency. I
can now converse with people with confidence and am really enjoying being back in the
classroom as a student (although my application of the subjunctive clause
remains perilous….)
Marching
We organised the "Arusha March for Climate Change" last weekend, to coincide with marches taking place across the rest of the world. It didn't quite go to plan (I have posted a detailed write up on my other blog: Birds and Bees) but nevertheless it was an entertaining Sunday afternoon.
And that’s about it. I am walking a lot each morning (my favourite route is up Waterfall Road; a long and hilly climb, at the end of which is the promise of a waterfall…although I’ve yet to find it!)
Otherwise, my days are simply filled with words – reading them, thinking them and writing them. Let’s just hope that someone out there actually wants to read them!







No comments:
Post a Comment