Monday, 13 October 2014

Life's Journeys

It’s time for another adventure. Once again, I’m packing my bags – this time heading off to South Africa for a few weeks. Planes, trains and automobiles (plus a bit of walking) mean I am once again taking the long-way-down, but for me this is all a part of the pleasure. The journey is as meaningful as the destination, and if I can spend five days travelling to somewhere that others would fly to in five hours, I’ll take the long way every time.



I took this route down to Cape Town last year (buses and trains across Tanzania and South Africa) and loved every minute of the journey. It was a beautiful trip, with happy days spent with good friends when I finally arrived at my destination.



Beyond the pleasures of travelling, I am really looking forward to seeing my old friends Verena and Justin (with new baby additions this time) in Cape Town; really looking forward to being by the ocean and really looking forward to being away from work. Although my days are self-directed, my work self-driven and my writing something I am very passionate about, my brain is a little fatigued and looking forward to a rest.

The past few weeks have been a journey. Wandering in unknown territories and writing to publishers to try to get them interested in what I’m doing has been a real challenge and an adventure (long, laborious and uncertain in many ways, but an adventure nonetheless). Uncertain at this point just how, when or where the journey will end, I did receive my first rejection last week – not great (obviously!) but in a way it felt really positive as they didn’t dismiss the book (they said it had merit and worth and recommended other publishers), they just felt fit into the categories of their current market.  Maybe they say that to everyone and I'm just kidding myself that they meant it, but hey - it was a boost and a confirmation for me that I’m not wasting my time (in my eyes anyway!) .

For now, I will put that journey aside and bid a temporary farewell to my words whilst I head off on another adventure. I'll pause this literary journey with a glimpse for you all as to where I've been: a brief “book synopsis” that I had to write for a publishing house this week – my teaser trailer if you like. Should any of you know anyone lurking on the publishing road that may want to invite me along, send me their way!



"That is enough!"
"What is enough?"
"Enough is enough."

Humans have travelled a long way since the universe first went “BANG!”, yet we are losing our sense of direction. Our world is evolving towards a copy-cat-culture of enforced progress; pushing us beyond the realm of natural evolution towards an unnatural realm of erosion, wherein we lose more than we can ever gain. The more we build, the more we remove; whether that is the eco-system, the earth, our identities or ourselves.  Re-thinking education is crucial if we are to build a sustainable future, and we need to start furnishing our children with the tools they require for the road ahead.

The world is not an all-you-can-eat buffet. There is an end to how much we can consume, yet we are rapidly evolving into desperately overweight and constantly dissatisfied diners. Focusing in particular on Education, Development and Technology, Enough!?. shares stories from across the globe about the ripple effects of our current system; calling for a fundamental change in the future we are building for our children. In a world obsessed with global need, yet ignoring global greed, Enough?!. pauses the meal for a moment to encourage us all to shout Enough!, to consider Enough? and to resolve Enough.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A tinkerer and researcher at MIT has come up with a proposed equation to explain hor life organizes around energy consumption and expenditure as the organizing principle since the big bang that also may have cased it. Rationally this seems like one part of the trinity of drives ( freudean id orientation, Adlerian pro social goal orientation and the synthesizing , balancing bias of Jung). They thenselves acted out parts of a trinity...animal, higher conciouness, humanism- respectively...since subcoscious bias is a time/space awarenes and clarity are thebasket of compassion and comfort. Awareness of patterns of culture and individuals allows us to synthesize. Lately I have noticed that the word altruism operates like all trust...sense leads to sensibility like trust in life leads to altruism..also pondering how space, time is the same as form, function. There are also negative energy patterns in brains that are negative electromagnetic energies like black holes when a brain is bogged down with poor processing (ie ignorance). There is non local, brain to brain and heart to heart conversations. People can create light or literal black hole like fields in there awarenesses....mapping it helps us understand the sandbox we play in. Peace, Peter

Anonymous said...

The light I mentioned is literal. Our thoughts relate to creating electromagnetic energies that light is a visible range in those spectrums. Another fact: coffee (and subsequently the adrenaline producing caffeine) is the second most used commodity globally after oil...our mental sensitivities are altered as a group. Petrr

Anonymous said...

Again, should have edited:) PJM